Monday, January 03, 2005

Foreshadowing?

Well, I'm back after a much-needed Christmas break, during which I didn't have ready access to the Net, so posts went into a notepad instead. I guess it's not a blog post if you had to actually write it with a pen and paper (how quaint!), so they'll stay there.

I don't really have anything new to add to the blogosphere's discussion and coverage of the Asian tsunami catastrophe. . . but I'd like to indulge in a bit of irresponsible speculation.
Instapundit mentions that Jeb Bush is heading over to Asia with Colin Powell. Call me suspicious, but isn't it a little odd that a governor was chosen to go with Powell, instead of, say, our FEMA director? Sounds almost as if the Bush Administration wanted a state politician to get some broader experience in international politics in preparation for something. . .

Now I know Jeb's said he isn't thinking of running in 2008. But you have the very popular governor of a critical swing state getting his feet wet in international waters, arriving as a messenger with hefty American aid backing him, to speak on a subject he's already an expert on (natural disasters--4 hurricanes AND a killer tsunami in the same year? Mother Nature, WTF?!?). If you were going to start a Presidential campaign, this is the way to do it.

A month ago, I made the claim that if Jeb Bush ran in 2008, he would absolutely massacre whoever the Democrats threw against him. All he'd need would be a bloodless formality of a primary fight, a platform of fiscal conservatism, and a few photo ops with his brother George W. His statement that he wasn't considering a run disappointed me at first, but now I think he's going for it.

Despite the risk of causing a premature celebration, I think I'm going to call it now:

Jeb Bush has won the 2008 election!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home